I have found out about news way before I would've before, got a free book, found out about concerts and events and have been able to interact with new and interesting people. I am still learning but so far it has not disappointed, especially for travel. Here are some of my favorite handles to follow:
- @airbnb - Their tweets are mostly about new properties that you can stay at but they are always out of the ordinary and amazing - a luxury houseboat that gets towed to different places on a river in Thailand anyone?
- @budgettravel - I love their magazine, so it's not a huge surprise that I like their tweets. However, they post many of their Real Deals (awesome budget friendly vacation packages to exotic locales) and make me want to get away almost everyday.
- @lonelyplanet - Like their paperback travel guides, Lonely Planet gives readers the off-the-beaten path kind of travel insight that I love. Their Twitter feed takes their advice to another level by giving followers great links to travel blogs, travel trends and news.
- @frugaltraveler - The Frugal Traveler from the New York Times is one of my favorite travel blogs, his Twitter feed brings his trips to life in real time, includes anecdotes not always reported on the blog and alerts me to new posts.
- @visitkc - I like knowing what is going on around town and this account yields a wide variety of fun, local events for me to check out.